Age-Friendly Discussion Groups
New age 50+ discussion groups forming – start one today!
Would you like to gather with others to discuss topics of interest to the 50+ crowd? Look for this new feature in every issue of Northwest Prime Time, brought to you by AARP Washington (www.aarp.org/wa), King County Library System (kcls.org), and the Area Agency on Aging for Seattle and King County (agingkingcounty.org).
Each month we will feature an article about a “hot topic” of interest to older adults, along with suggested discussion points. The articles will also include resources and support for the topic at hand.
This project is modeled after book discussion groups; we envision your get-togethers to be sociable, informative and fun. Perhaps you’re already part of a group or maybe you’d like to form a new one. Meetings can take place at libraries, senior centers, retirement communities, social clubs, places of worship, group member homes, your favorite local coffee shop or anywhere people may want to congregate on a regular basis.
“AARP hopes these conversations will build on our sense of community by bringing people together to connect, share life experiences and speak about issues we all care about,” says AARP Washington Outreach Director Amanda Frame. “Our goal with this project is to enrich the conversation and start a public dialogue about the future of aging across generations.”
Wendy Pender, King County Library System’s Older Adults Program Coordinator, says, “KCLS’ Mission is to ‘inspire people to succeed through ideas, interaction and information’ and our Strategic Focus is ‘to create opportunities through meaningful connections.’ These discussion groups provide a container for those rich connections, the opportunity to sit down with our neighbors and have conversations about things that matter to us all. Each month we’ll highlight programs and services on the topic of the month available throughout KCLS libraries for FREE.”
Upcoming discussion topics will be announced in the May issue of Northwest Prime Time. The first topic will explore the latest thinking on housing for older adults, along with a discussion of rising property taxes—and potential relief from the taxes.
We want your feedback!
We encourage groups to provide input on this ongoing project:
- Snap a photo of your group and post it or any comments/questions on AARP Washington’s Facebook page at www.Facebook.com/AARPWA/groups ; or
- email your comments and questions to email@example.com; or
- call Northwest Prime Time at 206-824-8600; or
- send us a note at Northwest Prime Time, PO Box 13647, Seattle WA 98198.
- Each group that contacts Northwest Prime Time by email, phone or U.S. mail will be entered to win a $100 gift card to Starbucks so you can splurge on coffee and treats for your next discussion group meeting.
- Your group will also be entered to win the grand prize (to be announced) at the end of the year. Each time your group contacts us, it will be entered to win the grand prize (no cost to participate). Limit: one entry per month per group
Please read related article below...
What's in a Name?
Age Friendly Best Practices
Back in the early 1970s, senior power took root.