Simple Skincare Secrets
(Family Features) Skin is the largest organ in the body and it’s important to protect and care for it in order to keep it looking healthy and vibrant. Daily exposure to elements such as low humidity, harsh winds, ultraviolet rays, even your laundry detergent and makeup can take their toll, resulting in dry or irritated skin.
Properly caring for your skin means more than simply washing your face twice a day. Moisture, exfoliation and diet also play key roles in your skin’s overall wellbeing. Following these simple tips will help you achieve an all-over healthy glow:
- Adopt healthy lifestyle changes that reap rewards for your entire body, skin included. Drink plenty of water, get adequate sleep, practice stress management, take a daily multivitamin and eat a well-balanced diet.
- Be sure to use sunscreen when outdoors to protect skin from the sun’s damaging rays and slow down the development of premature aging. Remember to apply sunscreen every day, even when it’s overcast, and reapply regularly if you’ll be in the water or active and sweaty.
- For a natural sun-kissed glow without the harmful impact of the sun’s rays, rely on a moisturizing self-tanner lotion or spray.
In the Shower
- Avoid long showers, especially with hot water, which dries out skin. Lukewarm water is best for preserving natural oils. For your face, a slightly cooler rinse can help close pores after cleansing, but avoid outright cold water, as it also can have a drying effect.
- Use a moisture-rich body wash such as Softsoap Coconut Island Quench enriched with coconut oil. This moisturizing formula will leave skin feeling soft and smooth.
- Use a loofah sponge in the shower to gently exfoliate dead skin. To prevent unnecessary exposure to bacteria that could irritate your skin, be sure to replace your loofah every month.
- Take a note from the pros and remove makeup, bacteria and dirt the natural way, with coconut oil or olive oil. Follow with a cleanser and moisturizer appropriate for your skin type for a fresh, well-hydrated face.
- A gentle exfoliating body scrub lets you lightly exfoliate and renew your skin’s surface, while helping retain natural moisture. You can find recipes online featuring household items such as sugar or salt, or keep it simple with a store-bought option such as Softsoap Body Butter Coconut Scrub with jojoba butter and crushed coconut extracts. The formula gently exfoliate skin’s surface while helping retain natural moisture for soft, supple skin.
- A body massage not only helps to ease tired muscles and relieve stress, but it will awaken your skin. Use a hand-held massager on your arms and legs to give your skin – and your spirits – a welcome boost.
For more skin care tips and information on creating a natural glow, visit www.SoftSoap.com.