Helpful tips on taking care of your grandkids
Grandparents today are finding they are responsible for taking care of children more often than ever before, including infant care. Young parents discover the expenses involved with child-rearing require that both parents work, and then they rely upon grandma and grandpa to help with babysitting and infant care. For seniors, taking care of children can be a delightful experience. The kids can enjoy grandparents that are relaxed in retirement and willing to play with them for hours.
Playtime when you are caring for grandkids means safety comes first, as it always has. In today's world, there are many hazards that were not a cause for concern when your own children were young. Almost every household now has electronic gadgets that little ones love to pull on and play with whenever possible. Kids are experts at watching you to figure out how to turn on the video game controls, how to insert (and break) your computer or game discs, and your cupboards are filled with interesting "toys" in their minds.
To prevent accidents from happening to your grandkids, it is important to prepare in advance for their visits. Old rules are no longer the standard, so childproofing the house is a must-do. Childproofing for safety is not difficult; many new products are available to help you make your spaces safer for kids.
Things to lock up:
- Sharp utensils and implements
- Your purse
Things to remember:
- Ipecac is not recommended; call Poison Control instead at 800-222-1222.
- New is better than used when it comes to child seats and cribs. If in doubt, check www.recalls.gov.
- Babies should sleep on their backs to avoid SIDS, without pillows, blankets and stuffed toys.
- Always use a correctly installed, approved car safety seat. All children must buckle up.
- Buy and use outlet covers, and drawer, cabinet and toilet locks.
- Protect grandkids from falling down stairs with secure baby gates.
- Secure any furniture, TVs, bookshelves, speakers and other objects from wandering hands. Include window coverings and blind cords in your security efforts.
Grandparents and grandkids are a natural pairing for fun, adventure and cherished memories. Taking care of your grandkids is where an ounce of prevention is definitely better than a pound of cure.
Content Provided by Spot55.com